22 July 2008

New organization forms for green pro dealers

A new association has been formed by a group of pro dealers, called the "Green Suppliers' Council." I found out about it through a press release from Alexandria, Va.-based Smitty's Building Supply, a founding member, but Smitty's does not mention the organization on the company Web site. According to the Smitty's press release, the organization is "a nationwide network of building material dealers formed to promote and facilitate green building in the residential construction market."

I also found this news report about another founding member, Central Valley Builders Supply, based in St. Helena, Calif.

Dr. Google also misdirected me to a Web site for the Build It Green Suppliers Council, which, while potentially interesting to readers of this blog, is NOT related to the new "Green Suppliers' Council."

And I noted with interest that the nascent association is being organized by Greg Brooks, of the The Building Supply Channel. Small world that this $407.2 billion industry is, Greg and I used to work together on Pro Dealer magazine, a publication we split off from Home Channel News a decade or so ago and then folded back into the mother book five or so years later. That's a photo of Greg from the HCN archives. I asked Greg about his organization, and I mentioned the Build It Green Suppliers Council, and he said:

This is different from Build It Green; they're a northern California non-profit that operates just in that region. This group is composed of non-competing independent dealers from all over the United States; the objective is to share info and strategies among executives, to help our members establish a leadership position in green building in their respective markets.

I'll post a link to Greg's Green Suppliers Council as soon as I get one (I'm guessing the Web site is still under construction, maybe).

No comments: